Monday, June 7

turning philosophical

A colleague asked advice about whether it would be appropriate to write something like, “What kind of jackass would continue to teach in selfish ways after hearing about the sources of inequity among students?” The uncertainty was whether jackass was too strong (we concluded it was) but the point being made was that at some point, individuals ought to take a stand. Injustices cannot be waved off as if problems are someone else’s responsibility.

This issue reminded me about the question about the kind of legacy we might like to leave. I suppose this an issue many people face at turning points in their lives and careers. There are even organizations such as Encore that assist professionals to find post-retirement ways to contributed to society. Their use of a semi-colon is pure marketing brilliance.

My colleague endeavors to use her influence and access to push others to change their beliefs and associated actions. Ideally, after reading her essay, the jackass would see the errors in his ways and turn his life, and his legacy, around. Others might be convinced to consider the long-term implications for their work through humor. The following scenario is a good reminder for me:
Three friends are killed in a car accident and meet up at an orientation session in Heaven. The celestial facilitator asks them what they would most like to hear said about them as friends and relatives walked past their casket.
The first man says, “I hope people will say I was a wonderful doctor and a good family man.”
The second man says, “I would like to hear people say that as a schoolteacher I made a big difference in the lives of children.”
The third may says, “I’d like to hear someone say: ‘Hey look! He’s moving!’”

The source of this joke is a chapter about existentialism within a broader effort to teach about philosophy via humor. At a very basic level, the jokes are really good and I may use this venue to share more of those in the future. In addition, the book really works. I believe that philosophy can help us make sense of our world(s). Or at least learn to laugh about it all.