Tuesday, June 29

that which goes unrecognized

Using another computer for reviewing research proposals, there were several features of the hardware and software that did not come automatically. On my own computers, I can unthinkingly change text size, call up search features, and check the spelling. But on an unfamiliar device, it took me a couple of minutes to even figure out how to open it. I do like the stubby red button in the middle of the keyboard that allows me to steer the cursor all around the screen. On the other hand, there was a trackpad and a mouse that made the joystick more than redundant aside from its novelty.
One automated featured I take as a given on my own computers are the custom dictionaries. Of course my own last name is unquestioned on familiar word processors but raises hackles on the foreign computer. What is most intriguing is that the following words are identifed as improper on the foundation's unusual reviewing software. Most notable were these "errors" that arose repeatedly because they are central aspects of the stated mission:
  • underrepresented
  • transformative
  • mentoring
  • generalizability
What might this mean? Is underrepresentation by certain populations, in reality, unimportant? Is transformative not an actual goal? Mentoring: not recognized and hence not valued? And, at the end of the day, perhaps the lack of much that is generalizable should come as no surprise.