Saturday, August 29

geography lesson

According to my traffic widget, I has a visitor to this blog from Kuala Lumpur. No, I didn't know where this was but now know it is in Malaysia. Halfway between Australia and India. I wondered whether I might have a new science education colleague reaching out from southeast Asia. Too late for him or her to come to Crossroads in 3 weeks. Pity.

Actually the link that brought this web surfer to my blog was also included: it was a Yahoo search of
Statistical Projection of Kentucky Fried Chicken Company. Really? This has to be some scam. Could someone legitimately stumble across my blog using those words? Maybe they were writing a report for an economics class or doing some work for the government about whether to let KFC into the country.


The hit was due to excerpts from my rant about having a hick heritage along with my ramblings about mental illness among faculty:
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan arrived from search.yahoo.com on "Brewing Trouble"
... suits (except for on the Kentucky Fried Chicken buckets rolling around in pickup ... Because of criticisms that the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Disorders ...
Sure enough, when I ran that search this blog was the tenth on the list of sites. I couldn't replicate this result with a Google search. I feel bad for my Malaysian pal and wish there was a way to discourage him from using Yahoo anymore. Otherwise, he's going to develop an even more bizarre impression of America -- or crash and burn on that Econ assignmet.