Saturday, August 29

bus to school

A concern raised about the proposed magnet school site is that the country road is dangerous. One citizen recommended that we travel that road when buses are on it. So Wednesday, first day of school in town, I did. First time was from 7 to 7:30 a.m. and then later around 4 o'clock. While somewhat narrow, I didn't find the road to be any more hazardous than most two-lane roads. No drop-offs, no suspension bridges, no firing range. But in that calim, I realized I had forgotten the significance of this annual rite, waiting for the first bus ride of the new school year. I suppose because two or three buses stop twice a day at the building across the street from us, the symbolism of boarding a bus to school has faded. I also saw moms and dads waiting with children at the bus stops in town -- some had cameras to presumably capture the moment. All the hope and possibilities in the minds of the family along with the uncertainty and optimism of/for the children.

Without any office on campus, I decided it made no sense to buy a parking pass. This decision was partly economic but the situation also makes it a minuscule amount less easy to drive to campus because I have to make sure I have enough cash to exit the garage. Plus, there is a local bus from our town to campus that is free with a university identification card. I took a couple test runs this week to see how dependable it was. Unlike with a car where being late to an appointment is almost entirely under my control, when someone else drives I trade the time to daydream or read in exchange for a sacrifice over my schedule. So far, so good. Yesterday, I became so comfortable on the bus (my 4th trip: heading home on the second day) that I fell asleep a couple of times.

I never thought about who would ride the bus. Yesterday morning, I was the only white person among 2 dozen passengers. The rest were Asian and live in apartments on the north end of town. They seem familiar to the bus drivers and it's fascinating for me to be in the minority on a country bus in New England. While waiting for the trip home, I had 3 different guys asked for help with the schedule: an eastern European, a Chinese guy (trying to get to Wal-Mart), and a Bangladeshi doc student in economics who is just starting this fall. Students also use the bus to visit a large grocery store since there is not one within walking distance of campus -- beer is available nearby but not bread loaves. One of my international grad students has suggested that I keep a journal of all the people I meet -- she's bitten by the "every person is a potential data point" bug. I'm not sure if there's a connection, but last night was the first in a week where I didn't suffer from sleeplessness. Don't know if it's being around the interesting mix of people, the calm that comes from knowing I can now plan trips to campus without fear of being late, or the healthful benefits of a brief doze as the diesel rumbles beneath my seat.