Friday, July 11

mentoring future faculty

Helping others learn to take my place (figuratively speaking) seems to be a central component of working with doctoral students. It takes a careful hand and well timed advice to do this well. There is no instruction booklet so I have to learn through trial-and-error. And I feel I am getting better with each new advisee. Here is an example.

I just finished teaching a six-week Methods of Teaching summer course. I taught one of three sections and I had a blend of people who will student teach in math, science, history or English starting in August. They get the weekend off and then take more classes for the second half of the summer. The students are reconfigured on Wednesdays to attend their Subject Area Methods course. However, these classes only meet for five weeks.
The instructor for science methods, a doctoral advisee of mine, sought my input about the program director's concern:
John,We just got an email about class time for the second summer session (9-3 or 9-4:15). Mike seems to be concerned about having 36 "contact" hours. So I began trying to think what I did for lunch last year. SO, what did you do for lunch this year?
Recognizing this as a teachable moment, I offered the kind of advice that might not have occurred to me when I first entered the profession:
Usually I made myself a sandwich and carrots. And I brought iced coffee. One week I brought a bowl of fresh fruit.

No comments: