Monday, June 23

wanting to communicate

I would like to believe that most people would prefer to be understood — except for folks like Mick Jagger who are famous for being obscure to comic effect. So when we discuss how to help people stay connected, I do believe that they want to do so. It's just that the process needs to be intuitive and beneficial. When it comes to Crossroads, I think if the mechanisms were in place that people would continue the conversations after the conference has concluded.

It seems to me that writing a blog can be liberating and lonely. On the one hand, I can compose commentary about anything I like. But then again, why post it in the first place. If I'm only generating text for my own amusement, I might as well jot it down in one of the many half-used memo pads in my top drawer. What could make all of this appealing though is not in having to reply directly to messages, as we do with email. Instead, we could communicate via blogs somewhat asynchronously and in tandem.

What is required would be first an easy mechanism for people to post brief bits for the colleagues to view. Blogger seems to make this easy. The challenge has been having an easy way to keep up with others' blogs. It seems to me that if, through a template or by simple instructions, a novice blogger could easily track other postings (without feeling obligated to reply) that might do the trick. But then again, if the software is going to make a posting flash and display a big red box that says "error" in all caps, that will do little to encourage others to take up the blogging torch.

No comments: