Saturday, June 14

little things

It seems quite easy to forget the excitement of accomplishments. This past week, the pre-service post-graduates were required to teach a direct instruction lesson to their peers. Avoiding subject matter issues, each was to train others how to perform a skill. The range was amusing: boxing techniques, wrapping a horse leg (with a homemade prosthetic), brewing coffee with a French press, placing badges on an Army uniform, passing a hockey puck. Because they were using a high interest skill, their students were quickly won over to the tasks. And because the skill was familiar, the proto-teachers could focus their attention upon supplying feedback.

Many expressed a great sense of accomplishment as well as wonder at how much they had learned from others. They were not simply pleased with themselves for surviving. They had a genuine sense of success at something that seems worthwhile and real. This exercise, for them, was an important step toward becoming a teacher. I had forgotten the joys associated with realizing that one is moving closer toward a dream. So even though I am still anxious when teaching a new group for the first time or delivering material that I do not feel I have yet mastered, the fist-pumping excitement by my students amuses me.

In a similar vein, Rob received approval from the IRB to move forward with his dissertation. I knew it was only a tiny hurdle but I was still relieved when he received the go ahead. What I thought was noteworthy were the compliments he received on his materials. Not only did the reviewers note that his materials were well written, but they added that it “was a pleasure to read.” But once again, I seem to have forgotten what a milestone this was, namely to win IRB approval for the first time. Luckily, I was shaken out of my numbness by a follow-up email from Rob: “Did I mention I got IRB approval? There is nobody I can share this news to that actually understands what it means. So I will keep mentioning it to you.” Now I see how liberating this last hurdle was because now the dissertation can begin without any other conditions or hesitancies.

Perhaps I am losing touch with the value of accomplishments that may seem like little things. Maybe it’s because now the little things do not seem to require as much effort beyond being tenacious or stubborn. Or maybe because I reside of the far side of accomplishments I believe that the journey leading up to the summit was less treacherous. Some mini-celebrations are probably in order and my attention should probably turn to looking for reasons to celebrate – because it now appears that I am surrounded by accomplishments by others.

1 comment:

Adam said...

I suspect that receiving an honor from a national organization, pulling in NSF money, successfully inventing and running original conferences, and earning tenure at three (!) institutions will make IRB seem like a mosquito that needs to be swatted, and teaching a lesson like brushing your teeth in the morning.