Saturday, November 14

exact measure

Not much in my world relies upon exactitude. On those occasions where exact amounts arise, such as having just the right amount of change for a coffee, it surprises me. I'm not burdened by being inexact. I don't believe knowing, for example, what kind of gas mileage my car gets really would make my life any more full. Instead, general numbers about how many breaths a person takes in a day or average lifespan suits me just fine.

Over time, it has become harder to tally. For the longest time, I could remember the seating chart from my fourth grade class. And I could count how many times I had taught a lesson on electricity or enumerate the students who'd survived my science methods courses. Alas, too many circuits and too many sections have gone by for me to give an accurate count. However, I can give an exact number (actually a volume) for an experience even though I anticipate that will be flooded an
d washed away before too long. Here it is: in my life, I have consumed exactly a half-glass plus one full bottle of Connemara. And the only reason that I finished the bottle was that I bought a new one during our recent trip to Washington, DC. The new recruit has replaced the empty, fallen soldier.

This is not simply a beverage that displaced my previous admiration for Jameson and Tullamore Dew.
This Irish whiskey has a mystical quality. For one, it has a very interesting and distinctive flavor. Another blogger fascinated by whiskeys ended his review of Connemara in this way:
Very drinkable, even quaff-able, with sweetness, and an interesting summer weeds type of presence. And plenty of peat, but don't expect a peat beast; this is driving-through-the-country window-seat-peat.
How about that! Makes me want to drive through the countryside with the windows down. Before the winter is over, because I'm the lone local consumer, the tally may reach 2 bottles plus half a glass. But in May, I expect to lose track because the other mystical aspect of Connemara is with whom it was first tasted. Already, I'm making luggage choices based upon whether I need to bring this beverage with me (which would require checked bags) or if we could locate it in the Denver area (not an easy thing to determine online). Even then, I'd still be able to maintain a fairly exact measure of my consumption. Should a semester in Ireland come to pass -- well, then my accounting would go to hell.

Key to the Connemara mystique is that the two of imbibed just a few hours before the start of our last Crossroads. The distinct, brief exposure of both produced sensations carrying forward into the future. Just a half-glass opened up a whole new world of sipping; only a half-hour of talk about a possible project similarly offered a host of possible ventures. I've made gains on my research project, which includes forging some formal and helpful alliances. Also, there's a still-corked full bottle of peaty elixir that will carry me over until my compadre is in his proper spot in an adjacent chair. Such evenings (or noontimes) are the exact measures that create mileposts by which I can evaluate the delight-full qualities of my life.