Saturday, March 14

short time off

A nearby town had its Maple Festival this weekend. In the settled part of the village (by the grocery store and strip mall) there were booths selling fried dough and doing face painting. The addition of "maple" barely distinguishes this festival from any other festival in other parts of our fine country. We did drive into the hinterlands to visit a couple of sugar shacks. One looked real authentic but they were only boiling water to show how the system worked. The other was really making syrup from sap but with gas heat rather than wood. Neither place resulted in a good photo.

All was not a loss: I snapped this picture out the window. And on our way home, we stopped at the supermarket where I discovered one of my advisees working as a cashier. She promised to let me know when she's delivering a good lesson during student teaching and I promised to do what I could to come visit. A very short break from work but a break nonetheless.

No comments: